Hi y’all! It seems like NYC has been having some crazy weather lately. Saturday was raining cats and dogs, yesterday was summer, and today feels like fall. I have no idea what’s going on but since it’s officially spring, I went with a spring theme.
The stars of today’s post are beets! Golden and red beets, to be exact. Beets have a bad rap and it’s about time that changed! Roasted beets are so sweet and flavorful, especially when paired with a little bit of stinky feta cheese. This salad just screams “spring!” and the vinaigrette pairs very nicely with the rest of the salad.
(By the way, feel free to follow me on instagram for behind the scenes shots of some of these blog posts before they end up here!)
Recipe: Beet Salad with citrus Vinaigrette
Makes 3-4 servings
The bad news is that roasting beets can take over an hour, but the good news is that you can roast the beets and prepare the dressing in advance. Just cool the beets and store in the fridge until you’re ready to serve the salad.
3 cups of arugula, rinsed and dried (any other greens will do – romaine, baby spinach, watercress, etc)
1 pound of pieces of golden beets
1 pound of red beets (I had more)
1/4 cup of crumbled feta cheese
1/3 cup of chick peas
1/3 cup of raw unsalted almonds
Special equipment: baking sheet
1/4 cup of white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons of fresh orange juice
1 tablespoon of fresh lime juice
Pinch of kosher salt
Freshly ground pepper
1 clove of garlic
2/3 cup of extra virgin olive oil
Special equipment: food processor (optional)
1. Heat oven to 375 F.
2. Remove green stems from beets. Clean beets under running water and use a brush to scrub away the dirt. Using a vegetable peeler, carefully peel away the skin. (Some prefer to leave skin on until it’s done roasting but I prefer skinning prior to baking). Use a pairing knife to remove the circular tops.
3. Take out 2 pieces of foil – one for golden, and another for red. I didn’t want them to bleed onto each other so keep them separate. Place beets in the middle of the foil, with enough space to wrap the foil in a ball. Sprinkled salt and pepper and drizzle about a teaspoon of oil over the beets. Wrap and place on a baking sheet.
4. Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Check to see if beets are done by poking with a toothpick. If the toothpick is easily inserted, it’s done. If not, continue cooking in 3 minute increments.
5. Once beets are done, let cool. Slice beets into 1/2″ slices.
6. Make the dressing by combining all the ingredients except olive oil in a food processor. Slowly add oil at the end until well combined. Adjust seasonings accordingly. Store leftover dressing in a glass jar with lid in the fridge.
7. Place greens in a large bowl. Pour dressing a little at a time, until the greens are dressed to your liking. Place greens on a plate and top with beets, feta cheese, chick peas and almonds.